Monday, December 3, 2007

What I learned from my Thanksgiving Vacation

Thanksgiving was fantastic! I had so much fun playing with my brothers and their families in Denver. It was one of the best times I've had in a long time. There was a hearty amount of game-playing, laughter and gayity. I can't wait until the next time when we all get together to play.

Now, I don't want you to think it was all fun and games. During the weekend we were there, I did happen upon some learning moments, life lessons, if you will. These pearls of wisdom are things I hope to keep with me the rest of my life. I would like to share with you what I gleened from my vacation, in the hopes that your life can become as enriched as mine has. Here are but 10 of those perfect gems of hope and brightness:

1. Pie is an anytime food, especially if that time is breakfast time. Just think about it...which is healthier: a slice of pie or a doughnut?

2. Eli is really good at immitating a walrus. (I'm really sorry I don't have a picture)

3. When playing football, DO NOT ask your team if you are going to do a passing play or a throwing play. Those two mean the same thing. If you ask, you will look like an idiot and your team will laugh at you! I know from personal experience.

4. You are not a bad mom if you let your child watch DVDs in the car for the entire duration of an 8 hour car ride. Actually, you are a good mom because you are creatively avoiding fights and tantrums.

5. I would have never made it as an early settler in America. This has been proven by the number of times I sorely lost the game, Settlers of Catan.

6. There are two things that are certain, no matter what time Thanksgiving dinner is put on the table: 1)It will taste great, 2)It will still only take 20 minutes to eat.

7. Every child misbehaves and throws fits; they just do it in different ways. My child exhibits his disatisfaction by hitting, throwing toys, and saying bad words. I think I would prefer it if he learned a different way to show he is unhappy. :~)

8. I hate to unpack. We got home from Denver a week ago Sunday. I have just finished putting our stuff away. Yes, that's right. Our suitcases and things have been sitting on the floor of our room for more than a week.

9. It takes my children longer to recouperate from vacation than it actually takes for us to be on the vacation.

10. Leah WILL have a play kitchen set and play food one day, even if she doesn't like to play with those things. This is because I like to play with those things...a lot!! Thank you Madelynne and Hannah for sharing your toys with me.

Well, there you have it. I hope your life is more complete now and you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I know I do!

2 comments:

Shaina said...

Ha! I love that we both blogged about things learned in Denver. It was one of the best times ever had for us too! And I might have to tease Mike that you mentioned gayiety in yours, he had me take it out of ours.

Shannon Martino said...

Lovely thoughts :). I agree about the TV watching. We drove to North Carolina for Thanksgiving - 17.5 hours. You better believe McKenna watched A LOT of DVDs in the car :)