Monday, January 19, 2009

What would you say?


I just had this conversation with Eli an hour ago:

E: Is Jesus Santa?
M: No, but Jesus is cooler than Santa.
E: But Santa brings us presents.
M: (Boy did I want to say, "But Santa's not real" but I didn't) Yeah, but Santa only comes once a year. We can pray to Jesus any time we want. He's always there for us and He blesses us with food, clothes, and a warm place to live.
E: Can Jesus get burned (he's referring to how Santa doesn't get burnt when going down a chimney)?
M: Ummmm...I don't know. He has a body like we do, but he's a resurrected being, so I guess not?
E: Is Jesus magical?
M: No, not like Santa, but he has the power of the Priesthood that He uses to do lots of cool stuff.
E: Can He bring people back to life when they're dead?
M: Yes, He can. He actually did that when He lived on the earth.

Then I briefly told him about the story of Lazarus and that was it.

Wow, talk about a tricky conversation. I wasn't really sure what to say. Well, I guess I figured out what our lesson is going to be on for FHE tonight.

3 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

well handled, its kind of crazy the conversations we have with our kids. Is it strange that I don't remember believing in Santa? I don't think Will does either. Curse of being the oldest I guess.

The Mathews Family said...

What a deep conversation with your little man! That's awesome! You had such good answers, too. Sometimes I feel like with each birth I lost more and more brain cells and my tongue got even more tied. You're awesome!
-Jessica

Kenny and Janelle said...

i love the picture...he is truly a handsome little man!!