Saturday, March 17, 2012

February Project

Just so you don't think I'm more awesome than I really am, I started this project and mostly finished it in February. The finishing touches, however, were completed until last weekend (during the month of March).



Leah needed a place for all her books, so I decided to make her this bench to serve two purposes. It holds all her books and her too!


I built it out of MDF and wood trim. I painted it white and put a clear varnish on it just to protect it a bit.





The cushion was the last part to be completed. It's just a piece of plywood with a foam pad glued on. Then I stapled batting around it to soften all the edges. Finally, I stapled the pink fabric on top. The great thing about this is, when I redo Leah's room in the future, I just rip out the staples that hold the fabric on and put new fabric in its place. The trim around the top comes up to form a bit of a lip to keep the board from sliding off the bench.


Just a funny thing about the fabric: I tried picking something green and white with a bit of a fun pattern, but Leah didn't like what I was choosing. We finally agreed on this pink, which was great because it was really cheap. As we were buying it she said to me, "Mommy, I don't like pink, but I really like the pattern on this fabric." She's funny.


I do have to add that my brother Mike helped me a ton with this project. So I guess it could be considered as his February project too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

has Leah slept a night on the new bench?

Uncle Ben

Sarah Burgoyne said...

You never cease to amaze me, it looks great. I would have made Will make it :)