Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Survival Guide

If you want to survive 2008, there are certain things you MUST do on New Year's Day. This is not a joke. Don't take this lightly. If you want 2008 to be the best year ever, you will follow these 3 simple rules.**

1) Do not eat any form of fowl on New Year's Day. That means no chicken, turkey, eggs, etc. If you do, you'll scratch for a living the whole year.

2) DO eat some kind of pork product. Pigs only move in a forward direction. Therefore, you will only move forward in the new year.

3) Get a herring. Make sure it's dead. Wrap a dollar bill around it and hang it from the highest window in the house. (I would hang it on the outside of the window to make sure your house doesn't smell fishy) Then, make that dollar the first you spend in the New Year. This will ensure that money only comes into the house and doesn't leave the house throughout the year.

To be totally honest. I only participate in 2 of the 3 necessary steps to making my year a good one. I'll let you guess which 2.

If you read this today, that means there's still time! Don't delay. Run to the store. Buy some pork chops. Find a herring. By the way, I have no idea where you can find one. Just trust me; your efforts will totally pay off.

**These traditions are brought to you by my Pennsylvania Dutch heritage. I love stuff like this. I think it's cool. Oh, and I only do #1 & #2. I'm not too crazy about fish.

3 comments:

Michael said...

So, not eating poultry isn't such a hard one for me, because I'm not really into chicken/turkey at the best of times. Gimme a nice steak and I'm happy. Pork (the other white meat) is an excellent dish as well, but the eating of it to the exclusion of other foods left me with some questions.

1) What are people supposed to do who, for religious purposes, refuse to eat pork?

2) What about vegetarians? Will their year "leaf" something to be desired?

Now, I don't necessarily agree with the aforementioned people, but I think that their situations should be taken into consideration. :)

The Hungry Homemaker said...

I remembered what you said, and planned on having pork today, even though I have been dying to make this chicken dish, but I knew I needed to hold back and it had something to do with pigs not walking backwards.

Kenny and Janelle said...

I think my chances are shot for the new year-but I will try to remember that pork thing for next year. I love a good pork :-)