Thursday, August 7, 2008

I'm not sure what to call this one.

This morning, I walked past the playroom and spied an article of clothing on the floor. I was pretty sure it was a pair of Eli's underwear. First, I thought, "Oh, I must have changed him there last night and left those on the floor." (Due to lack of sleep, I forgot that I didn't change him there last night at all) Next I thought, "Wait, no, that looks like the pair of undies I put on him last night after his shower." I just shook off those thoughts and continued on with my morning.

A little while later, the two big kids and I were watching cartoons on the couch. Eli was sitting in such a way that I could tell he wasn't wearing any underwear. I asked, "Eli, are you wearing underwear?"

"Yes....ummmm, no, I'm not," was his reply.

"Why don't you have any underwear on?" I continued, really curious because he was still wearing his pj shirt and shorts from the night before, just with no underwear underneath.

"Because I wiped my nose on them," he said honestly.

"WHAT? You wiped your nose on your underwear? Why didn't you just go get a piece of toilet paper?" I asked, totally shocked.

"Because it was an emergency. I'm sorry, Mommy" he said without turning his eyes away from the TV.

"Oh, okay, well next time, PLEASE just get a piece of toilet paper. DON'T use your underwear to wipe your nose again." I couldn't believe his response. His sneeze and subsequent buggers must have been so bad that he didn't possibly have time to run and grab a tissue. Instead, he took off his shorts and then his underwear, wiped his nose, and then put his shorts back on. I guess I should be glad he didn't put his underwear back on.

The funniest part is, when I told Mike this story, he said that last night he told Eli to stop wiping his nose on his shirt. Finally, something we have said has gotten through to the boy. He actually listened. I'm just not sure I like the alternative.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

That story is the best. It gave me a good laugh! :)

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I'm sure it seemed very logical to Eli.

Shaina said...

Eli uses his underwear to wipe his nose because he doesn't want to use toilet paper or tissues, Madelyn uses her dress to wipe her bum because there isn't any toilet paper or tissues... your family is so weird.

Cecily said...

Just wanted to pop in and say hello.

(Not sure why I picked this post to comment on... but I did... and it's done.)

Michael said...

Props to the boy for a few reasons. 1.)He listened when I asked him not to use his shirt. (Don't think underwear is a better alternative, but we'll have that chat later.) 2.)He is obviously a very creative problem solver, illustrating superior intellect. 3.)Every now and then, going commando is rather comfortable. Ever tried it?
For those reasons, I applaud Eli and think this is pretty cool. And yes, we will continue to work with him so he realizes that tissues/toilet paper are the appropriate disposal methods for nose goblins.

Kenny and Janelle said...

Eli is so cute, how could one get mad at him? No matter how many underwear he uses to wipe his nose!