Sunday, August 24, 2008

This isn't too white-trash, is it?

Last week, I wanted to fill up our kiddie pool one final time for the kids. Unfortunately, the hose that goes to the house we're renting disappeared, therefore, I couldn't fill up the pool. I still really wanted the kids to play outside, so I came up with an alternative. Since they LOVE to play in water, I got the mauve puke bucket they gave me at the hospital (don't worry, I didn't puke in it) and filled it with water and put it in the front yard. I also gave the kids ice cream bars to eat while they played. Mike and I had pulled out two small kiddie chairs, put them on the front porch to sit on, and watched Eli and Leah play.

So, here's the list of things that was happening all at once to make me think this innocent family activity accidentally turned into a white-trash train wreck for all passers-by to view:

1. Make shift pool for the kids
2. Two, very dirty, messy-faced kids
3. Playing in the front yard
4. Half dead lawn that has only been mowed once this summer (but since it's pretty much dead it doesn't matter and for the record it's not my job to maintain it)
5. Parents sitting on the front porch lazily watching the kids
6. Someone (doesn't matter who) in overalls (I was that someone)

The only other key thing that was missing was someone in a mustard- and pit-stained wife beater. I tried to talk Mike into putting his on, but he refused.

If you don't believe that this really happened, here's some photographic proof:

Surprisingly, Leah didn't break the bucket and she didn't tip it over for a long time.

Noah's embarrassed to be seen with us.

Me in my overalls. They were the only pants that fit and that were clean that day.

5 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I think you look great, overalls and all :) I laughed pretty hard when you told me this story and I was excited to see the photos that went with the story.

Shaina said...

Had you cut off Leah's curl mullet yet? If not you can add that to the list (although I thought her curls were adorable, I do love her new do).

Michael said...

I also needed to be smoking several cigarettes and you needed to weigh an extra 200 pounds. Then it would have been a real white trash paradise. Unfortunately, with what we had we are nothing but posers. :(

Kevin said...

You'd also need several stray cats & dogs.

Jenn said...

One thing keeps this scene from being white trash - the kids kept their cloths on.