Thursday, May 28, 2009

Has this ever happened to you?

We had a great Memorial Day weekend. My brother Will and his family visited from Denver. We had a super gay time. Everything went well. Our kids got along for the first time ever!! I made enough food and we played lots of games. There was only one bad part during the whole weekend. It's a scary (I'm not joking) and long story, so be warned.

It was Sunday night and some of the kids, Will, Shaina (sister-in-law), Sarah (other sister-in-law) were sitting around in the living room chatting and what-not. Sarah got up to go into another room and put her 1 year-old, Isabelle, down on the floor. Isabelle was not happy about that at all so she started to cry.

You know how when babies start to really cry, they let out a big scream and keep exhaling and exhaling and eventually take a big breath and then start screaming again? Well, Isabelle kept exhaling, but then didn't inhale again. Will, Shaina, and I were sitting there, waiting for her to take the big breath, commenting on how long she was going. Then she started to turn purple and she went ridged. Then she just went limp and laid on the floor. Will immediately picked her up to try to figure out what was going on. I grabbed a cell phone and dialed 911 while Will and Sarah tried to get her to do anything.

Then I kinda threw the phone at Will and had him talk to the 911 operator while I took Isabelle. I was certified in CPR a few years ago and then got a refresher coarse when Noah was in the NICU. I thought she was choking on something, so I hit her back a few times, then laid her on the ground to check her out. When I laid her down, she opened her eyes and then started screaming. She wasn't choking, she just stopped breathing.
We ended up with two police officers, two EMTs, and four firemen at our little place that evening. She ended up being just fine and didn't have to go to the hospital or anything. The whole thing was totally scary though!!! I was in shock a bit the whole rest of the night. I'm sure Will and Sarah were too.

I have never heard of any baby doing that. Just now, I read Sarah's blog and I guess that happens to some children. WOW! It's not very common though. I'm just so grateful that everyone is okay and that I remembered what to do. I still feel bad that I got the steps a bit out of order. The whole rest of the night, I reviewed in my head how I should have done things, but I still feel okay with what I did. Now I'll hopefully be even more ready in case something like that ever happens again. I really hope it doesn't.

There was one funny thing that happened in all of this. Later that evening, after the kids went to bed, the adults were all at the table playing games and talking about what happened. A few of us admitted that we thought about taking pictures of the fire truck and ambulance and various rescue workers for blogging or other memorial purposes. Sick, I know. But I know I didn't think that until everything was winding down and we knew she was just fine.

Well, thanks to those of you who endured this long post. This has been very cathartic for me. And now, here are some super cute pictures of Isabelle for you to enjoy!

2 comments:

The Tavares' said...

Oh my gosh! Ces used to do that when he was a baby. He would scream, scream and scream so more and when nobody came he would hold his breath until he passed out and had to be recusitated(spelling?) So scary! You were very brave. I would have freaked out :D I miss you!! We need to catch up!

lmk1411 said...

My nephew has been doing that for over a year. He lets out the initail scream and then won't breath. He doesn't do it on purpose and then he'll seizure sometimes afterwards. He sometimes does it a couple times a day.