Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Results of the experiment

So, I was supposed to post this yesterday, but I was too busy. So, you're getting it today. Here are my findings from the experiment I started last week:

1. I wore my pedometer until Thursday evening. It drove me nuts! I would look at it one minute and think, "Hey, I'm doing great. I've gone 2,413 steps already." And the next minute I would look and think, "Crap, how did I get back down to 12 steps?" I kept accidentally pressing the reset button. So by Thursday, any time I got up or sat down, I would look at it and try my best to remember what number I was at in case I reset it. I couldn't stand it!! So I didn't do it on Friday.

What I did find was that it's super easy to add extra steps to my day. And I am amazed at how quickly they add up. Just going to the grocery store for a quick shopping trip was over 2,000 steps. So I figure if I just take a few extra trips down the hall to put laundry away or take the long way back from the bus stop, I can easy get more exercise in.

2. I did write down everything I ate every day. I'm actually still doing it. It's really helpful too! I am way more conscious of what I'm eating and how much. I also realize I've gotten into the habit of eating sweets during quiet time, so I'm not working on stopping that (except for today because I really wanted a bowl of ice cream, so I had one...and it was good. It was chocolate with peanut butter chips.)

I'll just have to see if any of these new discoveries have a lasting affect on any of my bad habits. Only time and bathing suit season will tell.

No comments: