Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I'm a professional designer now

Or maybe I just pretend to be one. When we bought our house, I knew what the first project would be...painting the "Crazy Orange Bathroom". That's what I lovingly called the upstairs bathroom that the kids use. I called it that because it was crazy orange! It's the kind of intense color that can give you a headache if you look at it too long. So, it had to go right away. And it did. We actually repainted it in October, but I didn't completely finish it until today (meaning I just hung up the painting and took the pictures this afternoon). So now I get to post the pictures and you can see the crazy color.


Now let's remind everyone what it looked like before


The orange color actually kind of goes with the orange circles on the shower curtain. It's not a terrible color in small doses, but a whole bathroom of it is too much.



Now, the Reveal


There should be a nice white hand towel hanging there, but it was laundry day and it needed to be washed.
Isn't the color so much better? I love blue and this is such a nice, calm blue-green. I got it by finding a paint chip that was exactly the same color as the blue circles on the curtain and then I got a shade lighter. It ended up looking just like the circles, so I'm glad I when lighter, otherwise it would have been too dark. I got some fun red bathroom stuff--rug, soap dispenser, toothbrush holder, and garbage can. I changed the towel holders and toilet paper holder. (I only did that because I lost some of the screws to the original stuff when I took them down to paint.) Then I hung up some simple pictures I had painted a while ago to go with the curtain. And finally, I changed the light fixture. The picture of it is really dark. I should have put the flash on. It's actually nice and bright and I love it!

The project isn't completely finished. I plan to put a frame around the mirror and re-stain the vanity a darker brown, but that won't happen for a while. Don't worry, I'll take pictures of that too. For now, I'm very happy with my first room make-over.



And just so you know, the previous owners happen to be good friends of ours. I told the person who originally picked out the orange color that I thought it was a crazy color and it was getting painted over first. When it was all done, I showed her the bathroom and she really liked it! And she agreed that it was better than the orange.


Design Success!!

4 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Love it! You know I am a fan of blue :)

annie said...

it looks so gooood! definitely better than the orange.

amy ayres said...

Love the blue! Love even more that you're here!

A Wink and a Smile said...

i can't wait 'til we own a place that we can paint. sigh.