Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trunk or Treat

In our neighborhood, there's a trunk-or-treat every year. This was our first year participating. Honestly, I don't know why we have it because we live in a safe neighborhood, and it was originally created for those people who don't feel safe trick-or-treating in their neighborhood. But I guess people like it so, we decided to give it a go this year too. The way it works is people drive to the church, open their trunks, decorate them (if they want to), and the kids, in their costumes, walk around the parking lot collecting candy from each car. It goes really fast, so some kids make more than one round and collect lots of candy. Eli told us he made 3 rounds. His bag was clearly heavier than Leah's and Noah's. I'm not sure how that happened. I didn't walk around with them. I was a bit occupied at our trunk.





That's my head in the trunk. I got this idea from my brother who did it a few years ago. I just improved it a bit. I took a large cloak we have and covered the opening of the trunk. Then I folded the back seats down, climbed into the trunk from the back seat, and poked my head out. Mike helped decorate the trunk with spiders and snakes to add to the creepiness. It was really fun scaring the kids that came by and making the parents laugh.


And if you look closely, you'll see a white container filled with rocks. What's that for, you ask? Well, in a very witchy voice, I offered the kids a rock if they scratched my nose for me. Kids like rocks, right? There were quite a few children too afraid to do it. Some were almost too afraid to take a piece of candy from Mike, who was sitting next to me. But there were also quite a few who were brave enough to scratch my nose and get a rock. There were two or three kids who gave my nose a squeeze. I didn't like that too much. Perhaps next year, I should be a head with an arm so, I can squeeze the kids back!

3 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Impressive! We have trunk or treating here and we probably live in one of the safest places in America. I think its just become tradition. We hand the trunk or treat candy out on Halloween :)

Sarah said...

You are one brave woman! I wish I could have seen you in person! What a great idea!

The Tavares' said...

So your kids are precious and you are too much fun. I wish we lived close so I could be a part of all your coolness MIss Becca. You have to be the most awesome Mom ever!!!