Sunday, August 19, 2012

Guess where Leah's going on Tuesday....

This is what my kitchen wall has looked like since October, when we moved into our new home.  It's looked like this because I was homeschooling Leah for kindergarten with the plan that she will skip it and go to first grade instead.  It was not an easy task.  First, I made up all my own lessons.  Second, Leah doesn't always like me, thus making it very difficult to teach her.  It was a long year that even extended through the summer.  I wanted her to remember what I had taught her, so she had worksheets to do all summer (and by all summer I really mean some of the summer; I had a baby after all) to keep her little brain working.

Now that the summer is over and school starts on Tuesday, the decision has been made.  Leah will be a first grader!!!  She took all the testing this past week and did really well.  I will now brag a bit about how well she did.

The first portion of the test was academic.  Leah had to be proficient with material given half way through first grade.  I don't understand why Leah has to know first grade stuff to skip kindergarten, but she does.  If she does well enough, then she can continue to the next portion of the test.  It took about two hours for Leah to complete.  And she did really well.  She can read on a third grade level and does math and writes on a second grade level.  The only thing she didn't do quite well enough on was spelling.  Fortunately, she was only .1 points away from where she needed to be, so they let her continue. 

The second part was a cognitive intelligence test (or something like that, basically an IQ test).  This one took an hour and she did really well.  She scored in the 99th percentile.  She's such a smarty pants!!

All the time and effort I put into teaching her totally paid off.  I don't think she did so well because of my awesome teaching.  She's just a bright girl!  I know she's going to do really well in first grade.  She's so excited.  Look forward to the "First day of School" post where you'll see her picture. 

4 comments:

Shaina said...

Yay for Leah! She will do great! And yay for you for working so hard to give her this opportunity. Now for the next big question...how in the world are you going to decorate that big wall???

linda said...

holy cow, that's awesome! you totally have earned bragging rights!

-Melinda Taylor

The Tavares' said...

Yay for Leah!! And you for. That's hard work!!

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Congratulations! I new you had nothing to worry about, Leah is a smart pants!!