Sunday, July 8, 2012

June Crafty Project #2/July Crafty Project #1

I kind of started this project on the last day of June and finished it in July.  So it falls in both months.  But really, I think I started it more in November when I actually purchase the piece of furniture and started to change it.  It doesn't really matter.  It's done and I love it.  Let me show it to you.

I bought this old dresser off the classified ads online.  I'm pretty sure I paid too much for it, but it was the perfect size!  I started by removing the top three drawers and the divider between the left two drawers.  That divider was just a small piece of wood, so it wasn't hard to take out.  Then I cut some thin wood to make a bottom for both sections in order to make them like little cubbies.  I drilled some 1 inch holes in the back to put component cords through.  And that's where I stopped for a long time.  You should know that, if you've been to my house in the past several months.  We've been using it at a TV stand for that long.  Then I finally figured out what color to paint it and the I FINALLY got the paint and did it. 


Here's what it looks like now:

The stupid flash on the camera makes it look like it's just blue.  It's not.  It's a really cool shade of dark bluish-green.  I know that's not every one's favorite color, but it's one of mine.  This is more what the color actually looks like.


Here it is again with the stupid flash, but you can see where I got the idea for the color...from the rug by the front door.  That's actually where all the colors for the living room are going to come from.  I have a flower pot this same blue-green color and two more that are the green color.  The couches and side table are dark brown.  I want to paint the walls a nice boring cream color like the carpet and that one big flower on the rug.  All the metal finishes will be brushed nickel/silver.  All the wood trim, book case, desk, and picture frames will be white.  I hope to find more interesting things in the green and blue-green to put in the living room.  And all of that came from this one rug.  See how easy it is????  The only hard part is finding all the stuff that's the right color and building and painting the furniture and finding the time to do the shopping and funding all of these projects!!

I think it's worth it though.  This little TV stand currently holds the cable box, all the kid DVDs and all of the VHS tapes (yes we have and use a VCR) we own, which is quite a lot.  The paint was $13 and the knobs were about $2.50 a piece at Walmart of all places!  I'm not telling how much the actual dresser was because I paid too much for it, but it's solid wood, so it should last a while. 

Now, onto the next project.  I was really hoping this one would put me into labor, but it didn't.  Perhaps the next one will!!!

2 comments:

Shaina said...

Love it love it love it!

The Tavares' said...

That is one of my favorite colors too! It looks great! I hope to one day see all your hard work in person. Thanks for sharing all your craftiness! Love you Miss Becca!