Sunday, November 9, 2008

It happened again

Whenever we go to a playground with swings, Leah HAS TO be put in a baby swing and pushed the whole time. Unfortunately for her, I am a bad mom. I don't like doing this. When I take my kids to the playground, I expect that time to be rest time for me. That time is also chat time if I happen to go with a friend. I don't want to stand by the swings, pushing Leah, and shouting over to my friend Brittney who's sitting on the bench. I want to be sitting on the bench too.

As a result, I usually push Leah for a little while and then just leave her in the swing or take her out and tell her to go play with Eli. (she likes to be left in the swing) Usually, she'll just go down the slide then, but sometimes, she just won't give up. She will stay by the swing and yell, "Mommy, swing! Meeese (Please) swing!" She can be really stubborn sometimes, but so can I. I don't usually get up. Eventually, she cons other moms into putting her in a swing and pushing her while I sit and watch. This has happened several times. Sometimes, she'll get more than one person to push her. Her record is 7 people in one playground visit-4 adults and 3 children, none of which were me!

Think what you will about me. Every mom has a flaw; this one is mine. What I want to know is how she does it. How does she manage to get other people, who are pushing their own kids, to put her in a swing and push her too. It's not easy putting her in a swing. She's not light. She must have some kind of magic smile that I'm immune to.

Apparently, Mike's immune as well. Just yesterday, we took the kids to the park. There were swings. Leah wanted to be pushed in one. I was holding Noah, so Mike pushed her for a while and I stood next to him so we could chat. Eventually, I got tired and wanted to sit down (Noah's not light either). Mike took Leah out of the swing and told her to go down the slide with Eli. She did, but a little while later, she saw another mom pushing her daughter in a swing. Leah went up to her and got the mom to put her in a swing and push her. Mike and I watched the whole thing. I had told Mike that she does that, but he actually got to witness it for himself. She's amazing. It's a gift; no, it's a super power. I just hope that she realizes that with great power comes great responsibility. Fortunately, for now she only uses her power to get pushed on a swing.

Now, check to see if you are immune to her super power. Look at these pictures of her at a playground and ask yourself, "Would I put her in a swing and push her?" Don't be surprised if you find yourself nodding your head vigorously and thinking, "Yes, yes I would!"







3 comments:

Michael said...

She's so friggin cute I can't help it; I ... must ... push ... her ... in ... a ... swing... Hmmm, apparently I'm not immune. O.o

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I would push Leah! She is so cute besides I really want to be her favorite aunt :) It's funny Hannah LOVES the swings too. I was telling my mom about your entry and she mentioned that her friend, a nurse, read some research that said that children you like to swing have a higher level of intelligence :)

Shaina said...

I know of her power, I've fell victim to it many times. And I probably will again sometime in the near future. I can't help it.(P.S. Sarah's got a ways to go if she thinks she can be favorite aunt, even though my Mike is by far her favorite, she calls him Shaina and I think that means something.)