Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hated living there, but sad to see it go.

I have some potentially upsetting news for those of you who went to BYU, but no longer live in the greater Utah County area. Our beloved Deseret Towers is on its last legs. I have driven past the former housing complex twice a week, almost every week, since last winter and have been watching the progress in its demolition. I actually got to watch one of the halls be crushed by a wrecking ball. It was pretty cool to watch although I'm sad they didn't use dinomite; that would have been more exciting to watch. Eli and I pulled into the parking lot by DT field stood on the sidewalk for a few minutes and watched. It was fun. That was several months ago. Now there are only 2 1/8 buildings left.

What's especially touching is that, judging from the current path they're taking, U-Hall will be the last one standing. I know that many of my readers will shed a tear when that one falls. That's actually where I met most of the people I am friends with now. I do have to admit, though, I hated living there. I went from living with my mom and three brothers to living with 40 girls and no way of sound-proofing my room. Not a very easy transition. I will never forget the MANY times I would hear girls running up and down the halls screaming about boys. UGH! I also remember how many phone calls I received from my friend who was just 3 doors down from me!! (Janelle, you know who you are!) The common room was also a place where many memories were made; they mostly involved sweaty girls doing Ty-Bo. (I have pictures and if you're not careful, I'll post them!) The community bathroom was another unforgettable feature to this wonderful dwelling. There were girls shaving their legs in the sink, girls who took showers that lasted FOREVER, and the scary hispanic lady who cleaned it every day. (And for all you male readers, girls poop and it doesn't smell good! Shocker, I know!) I loved the phone system though and the Sunday night broadcasts only the girls in U-Hall floors 2 &3 would receive on their answering machines from those mysterious Chinese boys in Q-Hall. KBC is still my favorite radio station. And do I even need to mention Visiting Hours? Double UGH!! Ok, enough inside jokes that only half my readers will understand.

Oh, the memories. There are so many more and I have pictures to prove them. Be grateful that they are packed in a box right now! It was fun living there and making life-long friends, but I would never want to relive it!!! I'm sad to see it go. If anyone wants a piece of the rubble from the destroyed tower, just let me know and send me enough money to pay for the fine I'll get for tresspassing in a dangerous work zone!

If you want to check out footage of one of the buildings being torn down, here's a cool link.

8 comments:

The Hungry Homemaker said...

As you know, we have lived the same life, just me a few floors above you. Ty-bo in the common room, I was actually one of the girls running down the hall screaming about boys, HAHA. Oh, and that cleaning lady was scary, especially if you happened to be in the shower when she came into clean, watch out! And you gave me a great idea... we totally need to go sneak some rubble after they tear down Uhall... are you in?

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Fun college memories, I never lived in the dorms at BYU but having experience dorm life else where I feel your pain and relief that it's all over :)

Shaina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaina said...

Ah, good ol' U2. Good ol' freshman year. What an adventure it was, what memories I have. Not all of them good either, but memories non the less. Weird roommates, inter-ward and inter-2nd floor drama with too much estrogen in one place. Remember those lovely brown blankets? Remember the rotation of couples "saying goodnight" at the door? Remember the Lobby Lovers? U Hall 2nd floor 2000-2001 was truly "the best of times and the worst of times" but will always hold a special place in my heart. For U2 lead to Alta 312 which evetually brought me most of what is good in my life today. Thank you U2, thank you.

Kevin said...

I loved DT! Then again, I didn't have to live with girls, and Talyn tells me that's pretty much 99% of the battle. Maybe I loved it so much because I made so many good friends there. Maybe I loved it because, even as a mysterious Chinese boy, I had an ever-growing fan club of freshman girls. (KBC was probably my best accomplishment that year) Or maybe it's because I could prove to my parents that I could get good grades and be a social butterfly. Yes, I loved it, but I still vowed never to return, especially after my mission.

Sarah said...

I agree with Kevin - I loved DT for the tight knit group we all became and the way you always ran into the cute boy, but I was glad when it was over. Having only an 8x4 space to yourself was not for me. Not a fan of the running up and down the halls or the drama you could hear through the walls, but loved that my window faced the courtyard and I could see who was coming (and with who) and loved eating together almost like a family. Good times, good times.

The Mathews Family said...

That youtube video was so cool! Sounds like I sure missed out by going straight to off-campus housing out of high school. Boo! It was so fun to see you at mommies group the other day. I'm glad we went!
-Jessica

Shannon Martino said...

Thanks Bec for the lovely walk down memory lane - and every one else who posted comments. I'm with Becca - down with DT. Alta was so much better (hello, how many of us were living there when we met our hot hubbies?)

Yeah for Freshmen Year Memories!
"Are We Hungry?"