Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cartoons for thought

Now, I want a lot a feedback on this one because I think about this subject often. So please take this seriously.....

Why do most cartoons, which have animals acting like humans as main characters, have animal characters that just act like animals-no talking, singing, dancing like humans?

For example:
Sesame Street-Barkley the dog
Word World- Dog
Gargoyles-Bronx, the gargoyle dog
Mickey Mouse- Pluto
Arthur- whatever Arthur's pet dog's name is

Some of you might not be familiar with all of those shows. I watch a lot of PBS and Disney Channel. I have noticed that many of the mute characters are dogs. Is there a reason for that? Why are some poor characters doomed to a life of ordinary animal-like behavior while their animal counterparts get to talk and wear clothes? (I don't know if they are really jealous of the clothing part of it) This happens in movies also, but I think I'm going to narrow my research to just cartoon shows on TV.

Having thought upon the subject further, I think the dog connection is it. They (the talking animal characters) need for us to feel like we can relate to them. One way they do this is through having pets. Lots of kids have pets or want one. Hmmmmm......I may be onto something. But, don't you think those poor animal pets feel left out? Please, let me know what you're thinking and if you have any more examples to share!

5 comments:

Talyn said...

In the Chronicles of Narnia there are talking animals, and normal animals. Killing a talking animal is murder, killing a normal animal is eating. I think C.S. Lewis is more likely to have a deeper meaning to it than Walt Disney. What is the deeper meaning? Beats me. I'm a math/science person.

The Favorite said...

Very interesting thoughts, hmmm I
ll have to think for a little while. I think Arthur's dog is named Pal.
I mailed you the Easter list and hope you get it!

Mike said...

Those animals can't talk because they're the quiet types - there's always a bunch in every social circle.

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Wow, I have pondered the same think. Especially Pluto vs. Goofy. I have yet to come up with an answer. I'm not sure why I let stuff like that bother me so much. I have no problem accepting a fantasy world where mice and ducks can talk but I hate when there are discrepancies with in the fantasy world, i.e. Pluto. I have another question, why doesn't Donald wear pants?

Becca Bell said...

Mike-- does that mean it's okay for us to kill the quiet types in our society?

Sarah-- I think Donald doesn't wear pants because his feathers cover his private parts sufficiently. And perhaps he just wears a shirt so he won't be such an outcast.