Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Don't worry, Eli is still alive!

For those of you with kids, (or those who don't just think of yourself as the child I am talking about) have they ever had one of those days where they just don't want to listen ANYTHING you say? Eli had one of those days today. This morning, we went to the Bean Museum, one of his favorite places, with Tanner, one of his favorite people, and had a picnic, one of his favorite ways to eat lunch. Usually, when we do fun things like that, he's really good. Well, at one point, he started kind of fighting with another girl who was in the playroom, over some toys they both wanted. I had to take him out and put him in time-out to get him to behave. (Although, she might have had it coming to her a bit, I think she tried taking some toys way from him earlier. What do you think Brittney?) And at the end of the picnic, something happened and Eli told Tanner he wasn't his friend anymore (this happens often enough that we know he doesn't mean it). Now, that wasn't too bad, but things just got worse when we got home.

By the time we got back, it was quiet time (the most wonderful time of the day). Mike was playing a computer game and Eli wanted to watch. I didn't let him and for the next half hour, all I heard out of his mouth was "Dummy Head" and the like. He had to get his mouth washed out twice and he spent quiet time in his bed (he usually spends it in my room with me, playing quietly).

The rest of the evening was as follows: He took toys away from Leah. He gave me a hard time about getting in the shower. He gave me a hard time about getting out of the shower and getting dressed. He teased Leah with toys. I think in there somewhere he make Leah cry and either hit or pushed Mike. And then, he completely flipped out when it was bed time.

That part is all just a blur now, but I keep seeing flashes of Eli not brushing his teeth, trying to fight his way back into the bathroom for a drink, and me holding him on my lap until he calmed down, which took several minutes. It was awful!! He doesn't usually act like this, but every once in a while, when the moon is in a certain alignment, he turns into the dreaded JOHNNY SANDERS. That's what we call Eli when he does stuff we don 't like. He hates being called that and usually snaps out of it in a few minutes. But not today.

Oh well. He's sound asleep now and has been since about 7:45pm. I'm completely wasted! I feel like I just did something.............really tiring. (Sorry, I was trying to think of some clever analogy to say there, but I'm too tired to be witty) Does this ever happen to you? Does any child of yours ever completely change into some crazed monster that doesn't want to listen one single bit? I just hope he turns back into Eli tomorrow. I love Eli. I don't love Johnny Sanders!! (I apologize to any of you who happen to be named Johnny Sanders or know some wonderful person with that name. It's just something my father-in-law came up with) :~)

6 comments:

Michael said...

It's extremely frustrating when kids get like this. You wanna physically beat the crap out of them, but that never really works. Maybe sleep deprivation or "the water treatment" will illustrate who is the true boss...

The Hungry Homemaker said...

That girl totally had it coming to her. She was one of those girls who blamed everything on everyone else, and her Mom was oblivious. And, I didn't tell you this. When you left, the littler girl asked her Mom what was wrong, and the mom said, "well, he just wants all the toys for himself" I gave her a dirty look. I cannot believe I forgot to tell you that. And Tanner had a day like that the other day. He stayed in his bed from 5:30 to 6 until dad got home, I told him if he got out, he couldn't have dinner.

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I never have days like that... well there was last Wednesday when I broke down into sobs twice (part pregnancy exhaustion, part evil children). OK, So maybe I do have days like that :)

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Oh yeah and whats up with the mother and her "he wants all the toys for himself" comment. I think she could use a good smack (I was going to say time out but I think she needs more), Eli's not even my son and that comment ticks me off.

Shaina said...

I was going to leave a comment about that moods that my Mike can get into sometimes and how I have to deal with those days, but then I thought that might not be appropriate for some of your readers.
Good luck with getting rid of Jonny Sanders.
And I agree with Sarah that the other mom was a brat to say something like that.

Becca Bell said...

Wow, it's a good thing I didn't hear that mom say that or I would have said something and then left! I hate it when moms always blame the other child. I'm the first one, usually, to jump in and blame my own child. Perhaps I should pay more attention to what's going on, so I can appropriately reprimand Eli.

And, I also have days when I'm "Janey Sanders" (the female version). Fortunately for Mike, it's been a while.