Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Craftiness Project #2

Crayon Cookies: CHECK

Here's a cool stocking stuffer!! Just take the broke crayon pieces that I know all of you have, melt them down, and WHAM, you've got new, fun color-mixy crayons. You're kids will love them. I hope mine do. I was slightly stressed doing this. I thought that I would ruin my cupcake pan. It's the only one I've got. But I didn't!!

Here are the steps:
1. Peel paper off crayons
2. Spray each cupcake spot with cooking spray
3. Arrange crayons however you want, filling up the spots about half way.
4. Put in the oven at about 225 degrees for about 10 min. It really depends on the oven and crayon brand. It took me longer. I think Crayola crayons melted slower than the cheap dollar store kind, but I prefer Crayola. Next time, I'll try to only have that kind. Yeah, that's right. I'm a crayon brand snob!
5. Take it out of the oven and let it cool
6. Pop them out and enjoy. I had to coax mine a bit with a knife, but it wasn't a big deal.

Tips:
~If you can help it, use all the same brand of crayon. Different brands seem to melt at different times. I mixed my brands together and it didn't come out as cool as I wanted, but I tend to be a perfectionist, so honestly, what did I expect? And it still worked!

~Brake the crayons up into smaller pieces that way when you color with them, you can get more colors on the paper at once.

Here's a cool website that has more ideas for what to do with all those broken crayon pieces: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf666289.tip.ht

3 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

This is such a cool project, I think I'm going to do it. The little crayon bits are so annoying and I usually throw them away. I too am a crayon snob and try to only buy Crayola. I think they are easier to color with and the color is prettier. When I stock up at Walmart I'm always willing to pay a little extra for the good stuff :)

Jenn said...

Cool idea! JJ's been telling me to throw away all those broken crayons, but now I have a project!

Shaina said...

Did I mention how cool, creative and crafty you are?