Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cross another item off the list!

I have a list of crafty projects to do hanging on my fridge. One of them just got crossed off on Saturday. The item was actually two items--two little aprons. I had made one for Eli two Christmases ago and it has been very popular lately. Leah wears it when she helps me cook. Noah wears it when I'm cooking and wearing my apron. And of course, Eli wants to wear it when his siblings are wearing it. So, I just took some extra fabric I had and some ribbon and whipped up two more aprons. That's one less thing my kids have to fight about; score one for Mommy!

Here are some pictures:




I have to pat myself on the back for just a second. Look at how nice those stitches are!! This is the nicest thing I've ever made! My trade mark is the zigzag stitch in contrasting thread color. You can borrow that idea if you want. I think it just adds a little bit of extra cutesiness. (yes, I'm a nerd!)


This was a really quick project except for one thing.....I had to re-thread my serger!!! I know not all of you can fathom the full weight of that statement, but for those of you who can, you understand how scared I was. It was my first time and I kept remembering all the times my mom has said that she loves sergers but HATES re-threading them! I sat at my table, reading the instructions very carefully and mumbling, "Upper looper, loper looper, looper looper!" The names of two of the 4 threads are upper looper and lower looper, so you can clearly see why I had to make silly rhyming words. It helped ease the tension. I just couldn't help myself! After toiling for an hour, re-threading the machine twice, and becoming intimately acquainted with my machine's inner workings, I got it to work. I'm amazed at how nice it came out and I owe it all to the serger. Next time, I'll be more prepared and less nervous. Also, if anyone out there needs open heart surgery, I'm totally ready. There's no way it could be harder than re-threading that machine!

No comments: