Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Why I haven't blogged a lot lately...

I have a life!! Well no, I just have a long list of projects that I've been wanting to complete and I have actually been able to get to some of them. Here's one that I worked really hard on:

the project is the dress, not the girl...


I worked really hard on this dress. It's the first thing I've sewn with the help of a surger. I don't think I can ever got back to just using a sewing machine again. I know it sounds funny, but it makes the inside of the dress so nice! It's also the first thing I've made with a zipper. It was not easy, but I'm so happy with how it turned out.

Now, if you look closely, you can see that the dress has three seams in the back. I accidentally made the dress too small and had to add some extra fabric so that it would fit her. Fortunately, the fabric is so busy that it's not too noticeable. A bit of advice: make sure you use the right pattern size or it will add an extra hour or two to your sewing time.

One final thing about the dress or is it about Leah.....

Leah is very fashionably independent. I rarely get to choose what she wears which makes me sad because I thought little girls were supposed to be like dolls that can be dressed up. On Saturday night, we have our kids pick out what they want to wear for church the next day to avoid Sunday morning fights. So I went into her closet Saturday evening, took every dress out except the one I made, and hid them in my closet. Then, I had her go in her room to choose her dress for church. I was listening in and heard her open the door, stand there for a minute and then excitedly say, "Mommy, I want to wear this one! I promise!!" Fortunately, she was talking about the dress and not the robe or snow pants I left hanging in her closet. Disaster narrowly averted!

2 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I'm impressed, the dress is really cute :) I love love love how you got het too pick the dress you made for Sunday. Very creative parenting :)

Grammy said...

What a cutie! You did a great job on the dress. I can't wait to see everybody!!!