Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I wasn't ready for this

On Sunday, Eli asked me how the baby is going to get out of my tummy. Wow, I was not expecting that question nor did I have any idea what I was going to say. I decided right then to tell him as best as I could, in a simple way, and to make sure it's truthful. I suppose it's easier and more fun to tell fluffy stories about how things in life work, but I don't want to do that to him. I think it's probably easier to just tell him as much as he needs to know now and then add more to it as he grows up. So, here's roughly the conversation that we had:

E: Mom, how does the baby come out of your tummy?
B: What?! Ummmm......ah.....what?
E: How does the baby come out of your tummy?
B: Well.........ummm, when the baby's big enough, I have a special hole in my bottom that the baby will come out of.
E: A hole in your bottom? Like your bumbies?
B: No, not my bumbies. My gina (what we call the vagina). When the baby's big enough it will come out my gina.
E: Oh

Then, he just casually left and went back to playing. It was rough for me, but he seemed to be just fine with the basic anatomy lesson I had just given him. As you can tell from the the conversation, I left out the proper terminology. I'm working on that one. Perhaps telling him little bits at a time is more for me then it is for him. Perhaps with time, I'll get more comfortable talking about it all and as I grow up, I'll be able to handle it all better! :~)

6 comments:

The Hungry Homemaker said...

yet another good reason to have c-sections. "See, the doctor cuts a hole in my tummy, and pulls the baby out" haha!

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Wow brave... This is what Will told the girls "see that bump on mommies tummy (pointing to a birth mark) don't touch it or the baby will come out!" The girls know that I go to the hospital to have the baby but thats as far as its gone, thank goodness. Having two girls with "gina's" of their owns I don't want them to get freaked out :)

Shaina said...

You know what the next question is, don't you? How did the baby get into your belly to begin with?

Becca Bell said...

I think I'm going to let Mike answer that one!

Mike said...

If my son ever asks me that question at an early age, I'm just going to tell him straight up:

"Boy, there are some things you just don't want to know.."

The Mathews Family said...

Ditto Brittney! And it sounds like you did a great job! Seriously, kids his age don't want or need the "hole" story *hee hee... cough cough* I mean whole story!
-Jessica